Skip to main content

Thy Will Be Done – June 30, 2016

One year ago today, I went to the operating room to have the mass in my abdomen removed. I woke up from anesthesia to find out that my tumor was a benign ovarian cyst. A very unusual one, but the initial pathology showed no cancer. Needless to say, there was much celebration going on that day. I went home from the hospital thankful that was a short lived journey. It could have looked so much different if it would have been cancer. But as much of you know, the story took a turn a week and a half later. It was cancer.
I have been reflecting a lot over the last few weeks. Honestly, I’ve been somewhat dreading these few weeks. There are times that the weight of all that has happened is still unbearable. Those moments do not come as often, but there are still waves of emotion that come and go. I think that will likely never go away. There are certain places that remind me of cancer, there are certain smells or restaurants that remind me of cancer.
Thankfully, we have been very busy in the Tomlin house these last few weeks. I have been able to keep busy and stay distracted with work and packing. Today we closed on our new home. Yesterday, we closed on our current home. We are so thankful for the way everything has worked out. Literally, every step of the way the Lord’s hand has been present.
Over the last few weeks I have been listening to this song “Thy Will Be Done”. I literally can feel the weight of every single word sung. I have no idea the circumstances behind the writing of this song but I can relate to every single word.

I'm so confused, I know I heard you loud and clear
So, I followed through, Somehow I ended up here

I clearly remember praying and laying it all down for the Lord last June. Praying and begging for the Lord to show me areas of my life I placed above him. Then two weeks later, I was diagnosed with cancer… my worst fear had come true.

I don't wanna think, I may never understand
That my broken heart is a part of your plan
When I try to pray, All I've got is hurt and these four words
Thy will be done

Thy will be done. How can any of us ever understand how cancer can be a part of his “plan”? I don’t have a good answer. But, it can be. I don’t even know where to begin to tell you how much energy it took for me to get out of bed some days. I would just cry and beg the Lord for his mercy on my life. It didn’t just go away instantly either when I asked. It was a process. That process will never stop this side of heaven.  

I know you're good, But this don't feel good right now
And I know you think, Of things I could never think about
It's hard to count it all joy, Distracted by the noise
Just trying to make sense, Of all your promises
Sometimes I gotta stop, Remember that you're God, And I am not

I grew up loving Jesus, going to church on Sundays and Wednesdays. God as always been an important part of my life. But it took cancer for me to truly see how REAL God is. I was able to experience His love and feel the presence of the Holy Spirit in so many ways. It was in those darkest moments of my life that I saw the true goodness of the Lord. I felt the true goodness of his spirit. I received true strength from the only one who could give it to me.

I know you see me, I know you hear me, Lord
Your plans are for me, Goodness you have in store

In those first few weeks after my cancer diagnosis, I couldn’t focus on anything. I was literally living minute to minute. I was consumed by fear and true shock of the reality I found myself living in. Truly it felt like a horrible nightmare that I couldn’t wake up from. Here I am a year later. There are so many things I would tell the “old me”. Although the old me wouldn’t have ever believed it. Holly, it will all be worth it. Jesus. He is worth it. Every single tear. Every minute of the sickness. He is worth it. Cancer is my story of redemption.
There are countless ways the Lord has moved through my cancer. In my family. Through my friends. Complete strangers have heard the name of Jesus. The best part now is the Team Holly Foundation. Birthed out of a journey the Lord led me on…. It was only the beginning. He is still writing my story. The Lord isn’t finished. He continues to provide opportunities for me every single day to share a part of my story. I am so excited about the chance to help women just like me walk through their cancer journey. To give them the same hope I have. The hope that doesn't come from doctors or family, but from our living God. 
The Lord saved me from more than cancer. He saved me from a life I was living not fully for Him. For that, I am eternally grateful. 
Thy will be done. Jesus, it’s all for you.

Here is the song video...



Want to hear more about what Team Holly Foundation is all about?  Check out the website here… www.teamhollyfoundation.org You can make tax deductible donations from our website. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Team Holly Video

I am so excited to share with you this video of my journey with cancer. It's been long in the making but totally worth it. I wanted something to be able to remember all that the Lord has brought me through. Praising through the tears today as I watch this and share it with you. So much to celebrate! God is good, not only because he healed me, but because he never left me. I will never be the same. For that, I am thankful for cancer. As scary and difficult as the journey was, I am thankful. God has never been more real to me than he is now. Jesus, it's all for you! #teamholly

Surgery #2

Today I go in for removal of the dermoid cyst on my left ovary. The plan is to try to remove the cyst and leave the ovary. If he is unable to, then I will have a full hysterectomy. He will send a frozen section of the cyst to the pathologist to review while I am in the OR. He is not worried this is cancer. But, it still has to come out. Here I am, almost 6 months to the very day of my last surgery. It's a little surreal. I have had lots of flashbacks to those days in June. I look back at see how much the Lord has changed my heart in the last six months. Thank you Lord! Reading through my journal from June 28th I see a much different person writing down her thoughts. I see someone drowning in fears and trying to control every single second of her life.  A complete wreck! This morning's Rick Warren devotional describes how I feel now perfectly.... “Faith unlocks the promises of God and it shows us the power of God and it turns dreams into reality and it gives us the

Cancer from a mother's perspective....

From a Mother’s perspective… by Lisa Thomas From the time you were born, you have always been our headstrong child. Sometimes it was a good thing and some times it wasn't. You were the one that always asked “why not” when you were told you couldn't do something.   After the third time, I would tell you “because I am the mama and when you get to be the mama you can do what you want” .   Now that you are a mama you might understand “why” better. We have been through a lot during your growing years, but his by far the toughest. You called me on Saturday before your surgery and said you would be going to the doctor Monday because you felt “something” in your lower abdomen. We were worried but knew it wouldn’t be anything bad. However, when you called back on Monday and said you were having surgery on Tuesday for the mass it was a little bit different feeling. When Cory came out after the surgery it was a great day. The first pathology report showed it to be benign. Pra